Monday, November 18, 2013

Saturday knitting

Some days it's better to dwell on the day you just had, and this is one of them.  It's Monday, it's cold and grey and windy, and it's got a dental appointment in it - plus, I'm pretty sure I saw some rain starting a second ago.  But Saturday?  whoa.  Saturday was sunny and mild and still.

I was knitting a cowl that isn't for Christmas (naturally) and it was going along super nicely.

This yarn was handspun by me a long while back, and the colour is the only one I had that will suit Heather, for whom I wanted to make something she could pull up over her mouth and nose in January and February to warm the air before she breathes it in.  I know the stretch of brrrr she has to cross to get from her new place to the commuter train, and if it were me, I would want this cowl.

(in fact, I want this cowl anyway - you know how hard it is for me to give stuff away.)

The only thing that was less than ideal about Saturday was the fact that these are the last knitting pictures I will ever be able to take on the ol' two-seater chair.

Yeah.  Pete picked it up to move it up onto the porch for the winter and one side just fell off, rotted right through.  We knew it was coming, but I was so sure we'd get another year out of this thing, it still came as a surprise.

Meanwhile, Blue was stalking the street.  Blue is one of two kittens who live - nominally - a few doors down.  She and her sister Jersey are out most days, wandering into people's houses and even refrigerators if we're not careful, and being made a fuss over by everybody.

Here is Blue, trying to persuade me to come outside to take her picture, so she could slip in the door while I was slipping out.

When didn't work, she decided the driveway was better, only to be scooped up by a nearby preschooler and carried off to his house.  Ha!  I won that round, Blue.

Here is a distant shot of Jersey, who came by later but didn't like the sound of Pete breaking up that chair.

After lunch Pete realized it was the perfect day to get several errands done near the restaurant where Heather works, so I finished the cowl, steam blocked it for speed, and we headed out for dinner.  Except none of my urgent Christmas knitting came with me because...

... there was enough handspun left for a matching hat.  

Ahhh Saturday, I wish you could go on forever.

Instead it's Monday, so if you'll excuse me I have to put on another sweater and get to work - the 'leisure' part of which, for the first time in a few days, will focus entirely on Christmas Sock.  yay, it's sensible Mary time! and not a moment too soon either.

Have a great day, sensible or otherwise, and I'll see you tomorrow.

No comments: