Even though I did lose my shoes and then left home without my mobile phone and had to go back for it plus the errand list I wanted to get through after my dental appointment yesterday, I thought I was super relaxed about having a cavity filled for the first time in at least ten years.
I mean, hey! I remembered to bring a sock to work on!
then in the waiting room, after cheery exchanges with the receptionist
and the dental assistant I pulled out my sock and suddenly thought,
i didn't bring a stuffed animal
I first went back to the dentist as an adult following a long
separation from my hometown one, I had to bring a stuffed animal with me
every time to get through all the work I needed done. Maria, who was
the dental assistant even then - it's a new dentist now but she stayed
on - was very sweet about them all and my original dentist was
eventually able to congratulate me on being able to come to a checkup
Well, yesterday I wanted one, and what I had was knitting, so I was Resourceful.
took the pattern out of my knitting bag, a linen satchel from Tiny
Happy, and rolled the sock in progress around the needles for maximum
squish before stuffing it back in. And then I just held that bag. It
sat in my lap for the duration, getting flipped over or around every so
often when I noticed I was clutching it in a death grip. It really
(That and the classical track from 'calm radio dot com' which was offered to me through headphones.)
Do you think the musicians who did the recordings for calm radio had
any idea their work would eventually find an audience in people
undergoing dental procedures?
2. Where did I finally find my shoes?
3. How relieved was I to have them back?
4. How far did I get on that sock, anyway?
5. Will a bag of knitting be sufficient to get through other dental procedures such as replacing an old, deep filling?
1. I hope not. Though on the upside, what other audience is more desperate to offer undivided attention?
2. Not in any normal dumping point or at the cottage as very much feared, but in an outside pocket of the suitcase that had been to the cottage.
3. SO relieved.
4. Into the toe, hurray!
5. I don't intend to find out. Somebody's coming with me next time - maybe Edgar, my Easter bunny?
or... h'mmm. maybe that cake of delicious yarn he's posing with.