Finally! I finished these socks - and after worrying the whole way through I wouldn't have quite enough yarn and even reducing the leg length just in case and hunting furtively through the stash for something in a comparable weight/fiber for the toes if needed, I ended up with this much left over:
Just before I Kitchener-stitched the toes, I read a fascinating article by TECHknitter in Interweave Knits (Spring 2010) on shaping during same, and decided to employ some so as to avoid that sticky-outie bit on the sides of the toe that look like ears. It was fun to do but I think I wasn't very good at it because the left sock feels a little bit lumpy at the ends. I'll have to try harder next time.
Anyway, in spite of all the problems I made in the process, they did come out very prettily:
And they are thick and warm! I'll be able to wear my Mary Janes much farther into next fall and still have warm toes, and even eke out my walking boots for longer into snow season.
The yarn, organic merino hand-dyed by Midnight Sheep, was fantastic. I would rib it another time to make the sock a bit more snug - this yarn is not as elastic as some, though I would venture to say it's softer than most - but I loved it and can definitely recommend it. The yarn and the colour both!